Surprising Items You Can and Cannot Put in Your Washing Machine
Where would we be without our washing machines? Probably outside scrubbing clothes on a washboard. Our washing machines may be the most useful appliance we have, but there are a lot of misconceptions of what you can and cannot wash. Here are some surprising items you can and can’t put in your washing machine.
Things You CAN Wash in Your Washing Machine
- Stuffed Animals- Kids are rough on toys. They get spilled on, puked on and stuffed under the bed. Luckily you can throw most stuffed toys in the washing machine. Be sure to check the tag for washing instructions, but a good rule of thumb is to always wash on delicate in cold water.
- Oven Mitts- When was the last time you washed your oven mitt? You’re bound to accidentally dip that big fluffy glove in the casserole from time to time, so be sure to wash them at least once a month.
- Sneakers- Yes, contrary to popular belief, you can indeed throw your sneakers in the washing machine. Take the laces out, wrap them in a pillowcase and throw a few towels in there to balance out the weight and you’ll have fresh smelling gym shoes in no time.
Things You CANNOT Wash in Your Washing Machine
- Handmade Knit or Crochet Hats- Even if the maker told you your item was washing machine-safe, knit and crochet hats can be very delicate to wash. To make them last as long as possible, it’s best to hand wash and lay flat to dry.
- Memory Foam Pillows- Unless otherwise listed on the label, don’t put your memory foam pillow in the washing machine, you’ll end up with a soggy misshapen mess.
- Lace- This one may seem obvious, but some people think a gentle cycle wash is ok for lace. It’s not. This delicate fabric should always be hand washed.
For all your washing machine or appliance related questions and repairs, leave it to the experts at Express Appliance Repair!