Doing laundry might seem like a mundane task, but there are some tips and tricks that may make the chore feel less like one! Some of these can potentially extend the life of your washer and dryer as well. Let’s explore some valuable insights to enhance your laundry routine.
First Rule of Laundry – Don’t Overload!
Let’s start with the basics – overloading your washer. It’s a common mistake that can lead to undue wear and tear. Always leave about 25% of the drum empty to protect your appliance and ensure efficient cleaning. It might mean an extra load now and then, but it’s a small trade-off for extending the lifespan of your washing machine.
What’s the right temperature for your washer?
Next, we should talk about temperature. Did you know that 90% of a washing machine’s energy goes towards heating water? To save on energy and protect the lifespan of your appliances, consider washing your clothes on a cold or “cool” setting. Most modern detergents work just as effectively in cold water.
How to Optimize Your Dryer Use
Using your dryer efficiently is key to reducing energy consumption and extending the lifespan of your appliance. Here are some tips on how to do this:
- Always sort your clothes before drying – similar fabric types dry at the same rate.
- Avoid overloading the dryer, as this can restrict the airflow and cause the machine to use more energy.
- Use the high-speed or extended spin cycle in the washer; this reduces the amount of moisture the dryer has to remove.
- Make full use of your dryer’s moisture sensor if it has one, as this will automatically turn off the machine when your clothes are dry, saving energy and reducing wear and tear on your clothes.
- Regularly clean the lint filter and the dryer vent to improve air circulation and efficiency.
- Consider air-drying heavier items like towels and blankets, as they tend to consume more energy.
At Express Appliance Service, we understand the value of laundry appliances. If you’re facing any issues with your washer or dryer, give us a call today!